Monday 2 April 2012

Why is frosted glass so hard to find in London?

Royal Brompton Incarceration Sketch tour – (2 of 5)

Okay so the Royal Brompton hospital Cystic Fibrosis Unit, sounds like the Hilton hotel, right? TV, computer, En suite…But I forgot to mention that after every meal time for the first 48 hours there was a small prick to test for Diabetes – regardless of whether you have the complaint or not. If a prick is missed the 48 hours is reset. So you can be sure I was ringing the nurses for my prick after every mealtime.
Nurses quarters Royal Brompton Hospital

The sketch above is the view from my narrow window in my room. I can see across to the Nurses Quarters and the stair well. At night I developed a game to guess which room a person lived in, by watching to see what lights come on as people climbed the stairs to their accommodation. A bit like in Sneakers. I noticed that people left items on their window ledges – most notable running shoes, bottles of drink and a big red plastic bag – I’m guessing full of rubbish and part of an extreme refuse collection. A sport that seemed to start at 4 in the morning with the clearing up of bottles from the public house at the end of the alley. One day it rained and all the possessions got wet.

This sketch is of my view from my en-suite see-through window and quite a surprise for me as I am used to frosted glass in a bathroom. I guess when you are 4 floors up dignity goes out the window.

Nurses Quarters RBH top floor view

 

More from the Royal Brompton Incarceration sketch tour…

No comments:

Post a Comment